Monday, August 8, 2011

Adventures in Grandmotherhood

I have often been surprised, delighted
and touched by this thing called
Grandmother-hood. 
Who knew that grandmothers were such special people?
Well I guess when I look at it that way....
I DID!!!

I had the most spectacularly amazing grandmothers,
and I don't think they did anything more
than make me feel  that
I was the center of THEIR universe. 

My grandmothers were two very different
women and I loved them both equally. 
One for her practicality and unconditional acceptance
and the other for her vibrant bigger than life self,
along with that same unconditional acceptance. 
I now realize how blessed I was to have
these two special ladies in my life. 

Funny,
because when I started this post it was all about
ME.
  I will give you a quick glimpse at these
two very special ladies.
I think a future post may be in order
in honor of them both.

Can you guess which is which by my description?

Mary -
Making her
ever famous Anise Easter cakes.
Each cake had Easter Eggs in their center 
sporting our names.
When you think how many she made...
she had five married children and
ended up with 13 grandchildren.
and she always wore and apron...I
actually own one of them.


and Mary on her wedding day.
(I had to throw this one in because I have
always loved it so much and it gave me
and excuse to finally scan it)


and Rose



I will have to work on getting more pictures of Rose
so you can see her amazingly shocking
RED hair.  This lady was bigger
than life and stayed that way until
she passed at 89.

Here she is with my dad.

As for my original thoughts...

I was picking something up from my daughters
this morning and as I was
getting into my car
I thought I heard some little voices.
(I know, I often hear voices)

As I looked up at the house
I saw where these little voices were coming from.
(I wish this were a better picture, it
came from my phone)



After catching numerous waves goodbye
and blown kisses,
I hopped in my car
and headed for work
with the biggest smile on my face.

Just as I pulled in,
I got another little surprise.
A text from another special young lady. 


Which prompted this post and my
trip down my own memory lane.
I am now sitting here surrounded by boxes of old photos
preparing to scan them onto my computer,
and hoping I can be
 ALMOST
as amazing
as my grandma's were!!

and just think...I haven't even begun grandfathers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails