Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Endless Love .... ..

and Tablescape Thursday

Ladies of my generation ....
do you remember the movie
"Love Story" ?
I must have watched it a million times,
and sadly music student Jennifer Cavilleri  still died
and law student Oliver Barrett IV was still heartbroken. 
I haven't seen it in years,
and I bet it is so corny now....but alas, it was
a love story for all time, or rather for my time.
Love means never having to say you're sorry
(hahaha)

Valentine's Day,
this day of romance and love
caused me to think about other love stories. 
As I started decorating my table I realized it was
taking on a very vintage look. 
Maybe more vintage than the generation
I am going to tell you about,
but vintage enough to stir my memories.

Who were some of your favorite romantic couples?
Maybe Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant
in
  Philadelphia Story
(of course I would take Cary Grant anytime, anywhere)



Tulips are so plentiful this time of year....I could put fresh tulips  in every room.  Oh wait, I did!!!
Except for on this table....

Maybe Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan in
Sleepless in Seattle?


Oh Valentine...Be Mine

Maybe Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert in
It Happened One Night.
You don't know that one? Yes it is very old.



As I sit here and think of some of
my favorite romantic comedies
I think 80% of them have Cary Grant in them.



Here's a romance you don't know about.

Once upon a time, sometime prior to 1953,
on the east coast of our great country,
another love story was about to begin. 
This one started in the usual manner, a boy met a girl. The girl was not as crazy about the boy as he was about her.
But as most stories progress, they got to know
each other, they fell in love and were married.

This is my mom and dad on their wedding day .... 1953
They looked happy, but on the way to the ceremony
my mother's car lost sight of the lead car and they
got horribly lost.  She was at least an hour
late to her ceremony and my grandfather
had to force her down the aisle.  She
was so embarrassed.  Can you imagine
how my dad felt, thinking he had been stood up.
Those cell phones would have sure come in handy.




On the opposite coast,
another boy was falling in love with another girl. 
They too were married and began their life together

This is my mother and father in law.  My mother in law
had just gotten out of the hospital.  She
had been thrown from her horse and had
a full body cast on under her wedding dress.
I don't know how she did it, but he was
pretty cute.




hugs and kisses ...

Both couples were lucky enough to have celebrated their 50th anniversaries.
My mother and father in law are shooting for their 60th.



I thought I would do a tribute to these endless loves.

Remember
Gregory Peck (fine figure of a man)
and Audrey Hepburn
in
Roman Holiday?




Or
Judy Garland and the boy next door
in
Meet me in St Louis


Should I be talking about my table or just listing more
couples?


How about Catherine Zeta Jones and Antonio Banderas
(one of my favorites...hot and spicy) 
in
Zorro



I guess I could go on and on.




My daughter Kristi took all of the pictures of
my table while I watched the g-kids
Good deal don't you think?


Thanks Kristi.
I guess I could add
Kristi and Tim Rush
in
Family Rush Hour ;)
to my list of romances





Tell me your favorite movie couple of all time.
Even if it's Thelma and Louise.


Grace Kelly and Cary Grant
in
To Catch a Thief



Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson
in
Twilight
(is that destined to become the
Love Story of this generation?)

Thanks for putting up with my nonsensical post.
and please leave me a glimpse into your
favorite movie couple.

Maybe it was
Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore
in
50 First Dates.
I can't wait to find out ....


Related Posts with Thumbnails