Monday, March 1, 2010

Albondigas Soup

On Valentine's Day the hubster and I had a lovely lunch
at our favorite Mexican restaurant.
There are several locations for this family owned
restaurant and this one overlooks Dos Lagos (two lakes)
an outdoor shopping/dining center in our town.
The outdoor courtyard diningroom overlooks the lakes.

I had ordered the Albondigas Soup (I can't say it but I can eat it)
and I have been craving it ever since.
So, on Sunday, I made some Albondigas Soup and it was so good.
I am not sure of the points, but since it is so light, I am hoping
it is WW friendly.






A favorite in Mexico is Albondigas,
a light soup with hearty chunks of vegetables and small rice-filled meatballs.

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 2 hours




Ingredients:



• 1 lb ground beef  (I used 4% fat-very lean but I think you could substitute turkey)

• 1/2 cup rice (uncooked)

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 1 teaspoon cumin

• 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed

• 3 quarts chicken broth

• 4 stalks of celery, chopped

• 3 white onions, cut into quarters

• 1 bunch cilantro, leaves only

• 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped or sliced

• 2 teaspoons of oregano

• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed

• 1 teaspoon cumin





Preparation:

Mix ground beef with rice, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of salt and the crushed garlic. Form 1 1/2 tablespoons into a meatball by rolling it
between your hands until it forms a ball. Do this with all of the meat until it is all formed into meatballs.


Bring broth to a boil in a large pot. Turn down to a slow simmer (where there are hardly any bubbles) and add in meatballs. Simmer gently for 20 minutes.


Add in the carrots, onion, cilantro, remaining spices, garlic and celery. Simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes minutes or until rice in meatballs is cooked through. Add in the greens and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.



I added fresh avocados from our trees ....
not so WW friendly, but good


Now this is the recipe I kind of followed but
I changed and added serveral things.

It gave me a good start to finish a good soup.
Yummy!

P.S.  If you look in the background you can see the lovely
homemade dinner rolls my mom made to go with our soup.
Related Posts with Thumbnails